Short Bio: The winds are changing down in J.A.M. Time as we welcome our first male Director of Children’s Ministries, Mitch Schleif! Mitch brings to this position a heart of service, a desire to grow in the Scriptures alongside the children, and a challenge to other dad’s and men in our congregation to help shepherd our young “Shine Brites” as they grow in God’s love. Mitch is stepping into this role as he continues to also serve his family by being a stay-at-home dad and homeschool teacher to his three children, Burton, Hazel, and Evie. In his free time, he enjoys volleyball, snowboarding, camping, hunting/fishing, reading and spending time with family and friends.
Favorite Books: Dragonlance Chronicles & Legends Trilogies. The Chronicles of Narnia. Where the Red Fern Grows. To Kill a Mockingbird. Hatchet. Total Money Makeover.
Favorite Movies: The Goonies. Big Fish. Christmas Vacation. Young Frankenstein. Spirited Away. I Love You Man. Stand By Me. The Lost Boys. Better Off Dead. Caddyshack and many, many more!
Favorite TV Shows: The Goldberg’s. Chicago P.D. Seinfeld. Breaking Bad. Parks and Recreation. Making It. The Venture Bros. Justified. Harvey Birdman. Almost anything Anime related.
Favorite Activities: Cooking/grilling/baking. Reading. Gardening. Snowboarding. Camping. Hunting/Fishing. Video Games.
Favorite Songs: Tom Petty: American Girl. Brazilian Girls: Good Times. John Denver: Christmas for Cowboys. Dashboard Confessional: Stolen. Pete Yorn: For Nancy (‘cos it already is). Too many others to list…
Favorite Musicians: Blink-182. Breaking Benjamin. Beastie Boys. Sylvan Esso. Bon Iver. Nine Inch Nails. Huey Lewis & the News. David Bowie. Queen. Linkin Park. The Police. Matisyahu. Hurt. The list goes on…
Favorite Sports: Volleyball. Golf. Baseball. American Football. MMA
Favorite Foods: Biscuits and Gravy. Pancakes. Fried Eggs & Toast. Pizza. Cheesecake. Boston Cream Pie. Potatoes in any shape or form. Chocolate Chip Cookies. Pasta.
Hobbies: See Favorite Activities above.
Influences: My Parents. My wife, Jennifer. My best friend, Jill.
James Lipton’s Ten Questions:
1. What is your favorite word? I’m not sure… maybe “ahoy!”
2. What is your least favorite word? I don’t think it’s appropriate to say here.
3. What turns you on? Seriously? I thought this was for church??? Confidence and the ability to laugh at yourself.
4. What turns you off? Arrogance, self-entitlement, rudeness, bad table manners, smoking/vaping.
6. What is your favorite curse word? F#*k me! I feel like I’m being set up with these questions!?
6. What sound or noise do you love? My children’s laughter and cicadas.
7. What sound or noise do you hate? Slurping/chewing with your mouth open.
8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? I wanted to be a Naval pilot when I was little.
9. What profession would you not like to attempt? Human Resources.
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? “It’s o.k., I know you tried to do your best.”