Short Bio: I was born at Robins Air Force Base in Warner Robins, Georgia, and grew up in Brown Deer and Sussex, Wisconsin. I’ve been married to Bill for 41 years, and we have been blessed with four children and six grandchildren.
Education: After graduating from Sussex Hamilton High School, I attended WSU-Whitewater for a year before transferring to UW-Madison, where I earned a degree in journalism.
Favorite Books: The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse and The Master
Butchers Singing Club, by Louise Erdrich; Cane River, by Lalita Tademy; and The
Children’s Story, by James Clavell.
Favorite Movies: The Birdcage, Fiddler on the Roof
Favorite TV Shows: The Black List, UpFront with Mike Gousha
Favorite Activities: Reading, baking
Favorite Songs: Amazing Grace, Sounds of Silence, Mercedes Benz (Janis Joplin)
Favorite Musicians: Arturo Sandoval; Paul Simon; Art Garfunkel; Alpin Hong; my brother Mark, sister-in-law Janet, and daughter Elizabeth
Favorite Sports: Badger hockey
Favorite Foods: Chocolate, cheese, apples, cinnamon-roasted almonds and red wine
James Lipton’s Ten Questions:
1. What is your favorite word? Grace
2. What is your least favorite word? Can’t
3. What turns you on? Learning new things and visiting new places
4. What turns you off? Pessimists
5. What is your favorite curse word? My grandchildren think it’s “pfui,” and I want to keep it that way.
6. What sound or noise do you love? Church bells. I used to work at a municipal law firm, and loved hearing hymns played by nearby church bells at the beginning and ending of each workday.
7. What sound or noise do you hate? Squealing brakes.
8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Historian.
9. What profession would you not like to attempt? Engineering.
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? “Welcome home.”